Do you have a WordPress website? It’s important to take care of your investment. With security breaches and hacks becoming more and more rampant, it is important to stay on top of the website patches, plugins, theme and WordPress Security updates. In addition, there are a variety of security best practices that should be part of your WordPress Security website maintenance. It is important to have a security strategy in place to make sure the website security is maintained.
What are Hackers and what are their purposes?
Hackers may be teenagers or foreign government agents, but in reality the true hacker is not even a person but is a computer. The mindless robots “bots” are automated to search for weaknesses on the internet. These bots work 24/7 doing the job they were programmed to do. There are good bots and bad ones. The ones we are concerned about are the bad bots. The bots can infect computers through spam or phishing emails or through an opening in a website. The goal of most of these bad bots is to compromise a site or other online resource to give them access to more resources to create a revenue stream in one way or another.
How Can You Keep Your WordPress site secure?
The most important thing to do is to do everything in your power to keep your website from being hacked. Below is a list of the steps you can take to protect your WordPress site:
1. Use a strong password with the help of a password manager.
2. Two-Factor access to the website. It may be annoying and inconvenient but that means it is also harder for the hacker.
3. Change your WordPress salts and keys regularly. WordPress Salts and Keys are additional passwords for your site that are long, random and complicated.
4. Use secure file permissions.
5. Use sFTP (secure FTP) whenever possible.
6. Use SSL on all of your WordPress sites.
7. Keep your WordPress site and everything on it up to date (patches, plugins, theme, etc).